Friday, September 24, 2021

Latest Posts

ST: Burl’s Creek Ownership Purchases Barrie Speedway, Track To Be Closed

As mentioned last week, Barrie Speedway has been sold by APEX Motorsports to Stan Dunford and the Contrans Group, Incorporated. It was revealed today by The Burl’s Creek Event Grounds staff that the sale was finalized on January 21st, and will result in the speedway being closed permanently.

“The Barrie Speedway has a storied history and many will be sad to see it go,” Diane Cunningham, Owner of Apex Motorsports, said. “The decision came from an assured place however; Burl’s Creek is headed in an exciting new direction, and this now-available space will allow Oro-Medonte to become the site of North America’s biggest and best event venue.”

The sale marks no surprise to those within the industry as rumors originally kicked up about a possible sale of the speedway during the middle of October when Contrans Group, Incorporated bought Burl’s Creek, the adjacent property to the speedway. Contrans Group, Incorporated bought the property to host Boots & Hearts, one of the biggest country music festivals.

“Barrie Speedway has had a long standing history in this township with both local and out of town racers, employees, guests and race partners such as NASCAR.” Ryan Howes, vice-president of venue operations and business development, Burl’s Creek Event Grounds, said. “We could not be more pleased with the future plans we have in store with this parcel of land and incorporating this footprint into our long term plans for Burl’s Creek Event Grounds.”

Barrie Speedway was scheduled to host a NASCAR Canadian Tire Series race on September 12th. As to what will happen to the date has yet to be seen. Rumors are pointing towards Sunset Speedway getting a race on the schedule. Sunset Speedway, located approximately an hour south of Barrie Speedway, has been interested in getting a date since being bought by new ownership in 2010.

“We have been informed that Barrie Speedway was sold, and that the new owners do not intend to continue hosting racing events at the facility,” George Silbermann, NASCAR Vice President of Regional and Touring Series, said in a statement. “While we are certainly disappointed to end our relationship with the track, we remain firmly committed to providing our Canadian fans the exciting door-to-door racing they love in both the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series and the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series.

“We will share developments regarding potential changes to the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series schedule in the near future.”

In response to the news, fellow tracks in the area have responded with comments of their own.

Mark Dilley has announced that Sunset Speedway will hold a driver’s meeting on Saturday January 31st to let Barrie Speedway drivers discuss the rules, and possibly join for 2015.

Meanwhile, Full Throttle Motor Speedway owner Gord Bennett posted the following statement:

I hate rumors but if they are true about Barrie Speedway, Full Throttle Motor Speedway would like to extend a hand out to all BSW competitors and fans on the lost of a local Speedway which is never good in our sport as our own speedway (former Varney) was in jeopardy of closing just a year ago until I purchased it and planted new roots for generations to come. We will do whatever it takes to preserve local stock car racing and by giving our 100% attention to build our product and image at FTMS. You are always welcome at Full Throttle and we will accommodate your rules and classes to be able to race competitively. Sad day but thankful of my contributions to help out any racing friends and family. Gord

Latest Posts

Don't Miss