CONCORD, N.C. (March 18, 2015) – Chip Ganassi Racing Teams, Inc. (CGRT) announced today the formation of a two-car team in the Supercar class of Red Bull Global Rallycross (GRC) with new partner Loenbro and drivers Brian Deegan and Steve Arpin. CGRT joins the vibrant and growing series and looks to continue itshistory of on-track success while also complementing the team’s continued focus on reaching millennials as a vehicle to grow interest in motorsports.
CGRT joins forces with energy services and construction company Loenbro, which serves clients throughout the Rocky Mountain region and beyond, to field the two-car team out of CGRT’s Concord, N.C.-based shop that houses their NASCAR Sprint Cup and XFINITY Series programs. Founding brothers Paul and Jon Leach are entrepreneurs who built a company on a foundation of strong core values and a tireless effort to exceed clients’ expectations, and have had life-long personal interests in the world of motorsports.
The 16-time X-Games medalist Deegan will pilot the No. 38 RockStar Energy Drink Ford Fiesta ST, with teammate Arpin in the No. 00 ENEOS Ford Fiesta ST. Arpin will run the full 12-race calendar, with Deegan competing in seven races. The two will also compete in X Games Austin this summer as it returns to Circuit of the Americas from June 4-7.
NOTES OF INTEREST
- The Experience: Red Bull Global Rallycross is a totally new take on racing with events offering a unique and unparalleled viewing experience for fans at the track and watching broadcasts alike. Events are designed to produce the fastest and most exciting racing in all of motorsports, without lengthy breaks in the action. One of the core principles of the series is the ability for fans to interact with some of the biggest names in the sport. With a completely open paddock, all fans are free to walk through, interacting with drivers and watching crews at work. The cars roll out of the factory as production models, but receive significant improvements to the chassis, engine, and safety features to bring them up to racing specifications. The vehicles are incredibly versatile; they produce 600 horsepower and can accelerate from 0-60 miles per hour in 1.9 seconds, but are also built to withstand 70-foot jumps and contact with other vehicles. Unlike many other racing series, they do not feature the aid of electronic traction aids.
- New Series, New Demographic: A strong focus on digital content and engagement with millennial fan base has positioned it at the forefront of the motorsports world. With over two-thirds of fans in the coveted 18-29 demographic, the average GRC fan is over 10 years younger than fans of other racing series. Live broadcasts on NBC, NBCSN, NBC Live Extra, Red Bull TV and fresh digital content generated on a daily basis keep fans engaged throughout the year.
- The Field: Series drivers represent some of the most talented action sports athletes in the world. A significant number of drivers have also had legendary careers in other action sports, from motocross to BMX to skateboarding. The series provides its athletes with a similar thrill to other action sports, only with added control and safety measures, and it’s not uncommon to see drivers successfully transition from another sport. Many former World Rally champions also choose to race in the series. These racing professionals balance their skills in car control with the added challenge of wheel-to-wheel racing, all on specially designed courses combining dirt, tarmac and 70-foot jumps.
- More on Loenbro: Paul and Jon Leach started their company in 1998 as welders working at the refinery in Great Falls, Montana. Their determination to meet customer needs and deliver quality service has fueled their success. Today, Loenbro has more than 700 employees across six divisions. Loenbro’s success has provided rewarding career opportunities to hundreds of hard-working welders, operators, inspection technicians and many others. The company takes great pride in hiring and training talented individuals who want to be team members inside a company that is changing the way their clients view contractors.
- ENEOS and Motorsports @ENEOSUSA: ENEOS products are the highest quality automotive lubricants available in the market place today. They first partnered with CGRT last season on Kyle Larson’s No. 42 Chevrolet Camaro in the NASCAR XFINITY Series (NXS), winning in the partnership’s debut race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. ENEOS has continued their partnership with the NASCAR team in 2015 for eight additional races with Larson in the NXS as well as a partnership with sprint car team Larson Marks Racing. ENEOS is no stranger to motorsports either – beginning in 2000, they began formulating, supplying and sponsoring Honda’s Formula 1 racing team. In addition to its products being used in numerous racing series, ENEOS currently sponsors racing teams in series across the globe. Sponsored teams include Lexus Team LeMans ENEOS in Super GT, the Yamaha Factory Racing team in Moto GP and Akinori Ogata in NASCAR’s K&N Pro Series East.
- Brian Deegan @mmgeneral: Motocross legend, 2014 Lucas Oil Off-Road Racing Series Pro 2 Champion, 2014 Pro Lite Runner Up and 2013 DirtSport’s Driver of the Year, Brian “The General” Deegan is one of the most decorated action sport athletes to date. He is a 16-time X Games medalist and six-time Short Course Trucks Champion. He is the only rider to compete in at least one event each year since the X Games’ inception, including his Gold Medal run in X Games 17 RallyCross. In 2015, he continues to test the limits in numerous racing categories including Freestyle Motocross, Pro 2 and Pro 4 Short Course, Rallycross, and Monster Jam.
- Steve Arpin @stevearpin: A native of Fort Frances, Ontario, Canada, and son of an entrepreneur and dirt racer, Arpin began his motorsports career racing go-karts and went on to become a seven-time junior world snowmobile champion. He advanced to the ARCA Racing Series in 2009 and began climbing the NASCAR ladder to the Camping World Truck Series and the XFINITY Series. The former stock car driver recently found his home in the series last season, where he had a best race finish of second with a seventh-place finish in the point standings.
Chip Ganassi, Owner, Chip Ganassi Racing Teams: “As a fan of motorsports I’m particularly interested in the GRC cars, their horsepower levels and the absence of traction control but make no mistake about it, we are in this series to win – both on and off the race track. Also, GRC has proven to be a very innovative and fresh take on today’s motorsport product. The series is targeting a new demographic and aligns with ours and more importantly with our partners’ focus on connecting with Millennials.”
Paul Leach, President, Loenbro: “Loenbro is thrilled to partner with Chip Ganassi Racing and to do great things with Steve and Brian behind the wheel. My brother and I have had a passion for racing since we were kids, and many Loenbro employees are big fans of the sport. Chip Ganassi Racing is committed to excellence, innovation and winning with integrity. Our company shares these values and the Loenbro family is proud to join them in this partnership.”
Colin Dyne, CEO, Red Bull Global Rallycross: “Chip Ganassi Racing has been an integral part of the motorsports landscape for the past 25 years. We are proud to have them join Red Bull Global Rallycross for the 2015 season and look forward to racing with them for many years to come.”
Brian Deegan, Driver, Chip Ganassi Racing Teams: “This has been a life-long goal to be partnered with a world class racing organization that has won numerous championships from the Indianapolis 500 to the Daytona 500 to the Rolex 24 At Daytona. I look forward to working with them and building a winning GRC program that can win GRC championships.”
Steve Arpin, Driver, Chip Ganassi Racing Teams: “I couldn’t be more thrilled to be a part of such an established team like Chip Ganassi Racing entering GRC with the support of Loenbro and partnership with ENEOS. For me, being a race car driver my whole life, this is the opportunity of a lifetime and one that any driver would dream of. Mr. Ganassi has set a high standard with the way he operates his race teams both on and off the race track, and just through the early stages of preparing for this season it is easy to see why the organization has such long-lasting partnerships and why its employees wear the team’s logo with so much pride.”