Rico Abreu, No. 98 Safelite/CURB Records Toyota Tundra
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
Daytona International Speedway – NextEra Energy Resources 250
Race No. 1 of 23
Crew Chief: Doug George
Engine: Triad Racing Technologies
Sounding Off – Rico Abreu:
What have you done to prepare yourself for the Truck Series?
“Just understood them and how they are so aero dependent, and the long races and being able to just make sure to position yourself to be there at the end of them.”
What has Kyle Larson told you to help prepare for the season?
“A little bit about speedway racing and just positioning yourself to be there at the end and being patient. He kind of told me that speedway racing’s fairly easy in the Truck Series and just like the biggest thing he said was, ‘You’ve got to be there at the end and understand what’s going on and be good on pit road,’ and I feel like everyone at ThorSport Racing has done a great job preparing our trucks for these races and I’m looking forward to getting on track on Thursday in our ThorSport Racing Curb Records Toyota Tundra.”
How have they amended the Tundra for your use?
“The pedals are off the dashboard bar – they’re a little closer to me – and the seat is moved up about six inches. Everything is right at NASCAR requirements. Obviously the pedals are in a different position, but they’ve approved it all and they said it’s fine. The steering wheel is a little closer to me just because of my shortness in arms, but it’s all comfortable and safe and I’m excited to get going this year.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter… The No. 98 ThorSport Racing team will unload chassis No. 25 forFriday night’s NextEra Energy Resources 250 at Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway (DIS). This is the same chassis that Johnny Sauter piloted to a 10th-place finish at DIS, and a seventh-place finish at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway in 2015.
- Welcome Aboard… Safelite AutoGlass®, the nation’s largest provider of vehicle glass repair and replacement services, will make their debut on board the No. 98 Toyota Tundra at DIS. The Columbus, Ohio based company will serve as primary sponsor of the ThorSport Racing driver for all 23 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) events throughout his rookie season in 2016.
- Truck Series Stats… Abreu has two previous NCWTS starts at Phoenix International Raceway and Homestead-Miami Speedway in 2015, with a career-best start of 14th (Phoenix and Homestead), and a career-best finish of 13th (Homestead).
- Daytona Debut… Although Abreu has two previous NCWTS starts to his credit, the two-time Chili Bowl Nationals winner will make his debut at DIS in Friday night’s 100-lap event. In fact, Abreu’s first laps around the 2.5-mile superspeedway will be during Truck Series practice on Thursday afternoon.
- Calling the Shots… The NASCAR NEXT alum’s 2016 campaign will be led by NCWTS veteran crew chief, Doug George. Entering his 12th season in the series, and his second with ThorSport Racing, George is credited with five poles, two wins, 32 top-five and 65 top-10 finishes.
- Eyes in the Sky… NASCAR Sprint Cup Series spotter, Derek Kneeland will spot for Abreu in 2016. Kneeland is currently a spotter for Kyle Larson.
- Rookie Stripe…Entering his first full-time season in the NCWTS in 2016, Abreu will contend for Sunoco Rookie of the Year honors with TSR teammate, Ben Rhodes.
- 2015 Recap…Abreu began the 2015 race season with two major wins – wining the 29th annual Chili Bowl Nationals, one of dirt track racing’s most prestigious events, and his first NASCAR victory at Columbus (Ohio) Motor Speedway, in just his seventh-career NASCAR K&N Pro Series East (NKNPSE) start. With four top-five and eight top-10 finishes in 14 starts, the Rutherford, Calif. native completed his rookie season in the NKNPSE fifth in the final point standings.
Abreu’s Career NCWTS Stats: (2015)
- Two Starts (Phoenix and Homestead)
- Best start: 14th (Phoenix and Homestead)
- Best finish: 13th (Homestead)
Abreu’s Career Stats:
- 2011 360 Winged Sprint Car Series Rookie of the Year
- 2012 won the Trophy Cup at Thunderbowl Raceway
- 2012 USAC National Midget Series Rookie of the Year
- 2013 & 2014 Belleville Midget Nationals Winner
- 2013 4 Crown Nationals Winner at Eldora Speedway
- 2013 & 2014 Johnny Key Classic Winner – One of five drivers to win back-to-back titles
- 2013 USAC Gold Crown Midget Nationals
- 2014 USAC Midget National Champion
- 2015 Chili Bowl Nationals Winner
- 2015 Pepsi Nationals Winner
- 2015 NASCAR K&N Series Most Popular Driver
- 2016 Chili Bowl Nationals Winner
Date: Friday, Feb. 19
Time: 7:30pm ET
Track: 2.5-mile superspeedway
Distance: 100 laps/250 miles
About Safelite AutoGlass:
Safelite AutoGlass is the nation’s largest provider of vehicle glass repair and replacement services with more than 6,500 MobileGlassShops™ and company stores in all 50 states. Last year, 5.4 million customers chose Safelite for its 24/7 national contact centers, advanced online scheduling, superior repair and replacement systems, and the industry’s only nationwide lifetime guarantee. Founded in 1947, the Columbus, Ohio-based company employs approximately 12,000 people across the United States. For more information, visit Safelite.com, or follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
About ThorSport Racing:
ThorSport Racing, based in a state-of-the-art 100,000-square-foot facility in Sandusky, Ohio, is the longest-tenured NASCAR Camping World Truck Series team. ThorSport Racing, which has competed in the NCWTS since 1996, will run the No. 88 Menards Toyota Tundra driven by two-time NCWTS drivers’ champion Matt Crafton, the No. 13 Cabinets by Hayley Toyota Tundra driven by Cameron Hayley, the No. 41 Alpha Energy Solutions Toyota Tundra driven by Ben Rhodes, and the No. 98 Safelite/CURB Records Toyota Tundra driven by Rico Abreu in 2016.